Jean-Claude Ellena - Perfumer
Perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena
Jean-Claude Ellena is a fine fragrance perfumer who works for Hermes. He was born on April 7, 1947 in Grasse, France and worked as a perfume apprentice at age 16 with his father at the Antoine Chiris factory. In 1968 he studied at the Givaudan perfume school. We has worked as a perfumer at Givaudan in Dübendorf, Switzerland, Harmann & Reimer (now Symrise) in Nördlingen, Germany, and in 2004 joined Hermès as their in house perfumer. His father, Peter Ellena was a perfumer for Chiris, his brother, Bernard Ellena, and daughter Celine Ellena are also perfumers. Learn more...
Latest Fragrance Creations
All Perfumes created by Jean-Claude Ellena
- Colonia Assoluta - 2003 (with Bertrand Cuchaufour)
- Colonia Assoluta Edizione Riviera - 2007
- Dia Pour Femme - 2002
- Rumba - 1988 (with Ron Winnegrad)
- Eau Parfumee au The Vert - 1992
- Eau Parfumee au The Vert Extreme - 1996
- Declaration - 1998
- Bazar - 2002 (with Bertrand Duchaufour and Emilie Copperman)
- Aromatic - 1999
- Angliques Sous La Pluie - 2000
- Bigarade Concentree - 2002
- Cologne Bigarage - 2001
- L'Eau d'Hiver - 2003
- Emporio Armani Night - 2003 (with Lucas Sieuzac)
- 24 Faubourg Eau Delicate - 2003
- Caleche Fleurs de Mediterranee - 2003
- Eau Claire des Merveilles - 2010
- Eau d'Orange Verte - 2009
- Eau de Gentiane Blanche - 2009
- Eau de Pamplemousse Rose - 2009
- Elixir des Merveilles - 2006
- Hermessence Ambre Narguile - 2004
- Hermessence Brin de Reglisse - 2007
- Hermessence Iris Ukiyoe - 2010
- Hermessence Ormanthe Yunnan - 2005
- Hermessence Paprika Brasil - 2006
- Hermessence Poivre Samarcande - 2004
- Hermessence Rose Ikebana - 2004
- Hermessence Santal Massoia - 2011
- Hermessence Vanille Galante - 2009
- Hermessence Vetiver Tonka - 2004
- Jour d'Hermes - 2013
- Kelly Caleche - 2007
- Kelly Caleche L'Eau de Parfum - 2009
- L'Ambre des Merveilles - 2012
- Parfum des Merveilles - 2005 and 2006
- Rocabar - 1998 (with Bernard Bourgeois and Gilles Romey)
- Terre d'Hermes - 2006
- Terre d'Hermes Parfum - 2009
- Un Jardin Apres La Mousson - 2008
- Un Jardin en Mediterranee - 2003
- Un Jardin Sur Le Nil - 2005
- Un Jardin Sur Le Toit - 2011
- Voyage d'Hermes - 2010
- Jitrois - 1988
- White Tea Bergamot Freesia - 2011
- Eau de Lalique - (with Emilie Copperman)
- Ambre Extreme - 2001
- Bois Farine - 2003
- L'Eau d'Ambre - 1978
- La Haie Fleurie de Harmeau - 1982
- L'Eau by Laura Ashley
- Sublime Vanilla - 2001
Paul & Joe
- Blanc - 2003
- Globe - 1990
- Eau de Campagne - 1974
The Different Company
- Bois d'Iris - 2000
- Divine Bergamote - 2003
- Rose Poivree
Ulric de Varens
- Eau de Varens No.2 - 1997
- Blue Lagoon (with Christophe Raynaud)
- Rectoverso Mystery Secret - 2001
- Rectoverso Sun Sea - 2000
- UDV For for Men - 2000
- First - 1976
- Miss Arpels - 1994
- In Love Again - 1998
- In Love Again Edition Fleur de la Passion - 2005
Jean-Claude Ellena - about the perfumer
Articles featuring Jean-Claude Ellena:
Going Rogue - Francis Kurkdjian, a rogue perfumer himself, explores the world of professional "noses" that think outside the box - and because of that have brought us some of the world's most celebrated fragrances.
The Descendants - When you grow up in a family of perfumers, just about every memory evokes a symphony of scent.
Books by Jean-Claude Ellena:
Le Parfum - Presses Universitaires de France (Sept. 2007)
By Jean-Claude Ellena
Rizzoli Ex Libris (Jan. 22, 2013)
List Price: $24.95
On The Nose: Hermes perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena muses on the world of scent and where he finds inspiration for the fragrances he creates.
Go to Hermes Perfumes
Q&A from Allure Magazine March 2013 issue.
Do you smell your own perfume on other people?
"I once sat next to a woman who smelled strongly of cigarettes and also of First [his perfume for Van Cleef & Arpels]. They were parallel scents -- not necessarily agreeable, but I accept it."
Does scent ever influence your opinion of a person?
"There are odors that influence me enormously. Alcohol. Of course I detect that at once, and along with that, understand the melancholy, the unhappiness of a person I meet. I am not talking about a little alcohol, but the smell of habitual dependency."
Are there any fragrances that give you a false impression of someone?
"Yes, very strong perfume. That may lead me to believe the wearer is a very strong woman with a strong personality. However, that may not be necessarily true. The perfume defines the woman at first, but sometimes that really isn't her."
Can perfume make a woman more attractive that she really is?
"Perfume is an artifice, like lipstick or a new dress, except unlike lipstick, it's an invisible artifice. It's all a very subtle game that can make a man thing, I am attracted, or, There's too much character in her, I need to distance myself. It's a game men and women play, and they don't even know what they are doing."
(Bachrach, Judy. "Insider's Guide: On the Nose." Allure Mar. 2013: 120)
Check out the Perfumers (the nose) behind the fragrances